Tuesday 6 October 2015

Because My Master Says So!


                                           
 Dear God/Men/Writers of history/People in power,

 In a far away galaxy, unknown to us, beyond the reach of learned “men”, there exists a genderless society. A space where young girls do not  grow up listening to the tales of “a knight in shining armor” rescuing a “damsel in distress”. Where greatness does not come naturally to men, and women are allowed to serve more purpose than just bearing sons, who would one day be as glorious as their fathers. A region where, public and private spheres are not apportioned as masculine and feminine zones, respectively,  and a double-standard of virginity and promiscuity does not apply to the two sexes.

But, I must not speak of such things. My masters- my fathers, husbands, brothers and even, older women, see it as a “corruption of the mind and soul”. I am a woman. I need to be grounded by protectionism. My betters have told me, that, women are innately diabolical seductresses and need to be reprimanded frequently. I believe them. They are my Gods, they infantilise me to save the world from doom that I may cause. So, I have internalised my inferiority and accepted endless subjugation,  as my destiny. I must not think of studying, they say.  Women who possess such an outrageous mandate are evil, they contaminate the male territory by trying to enter it. Thus, illiteracy is "chosen" for me. I fear to even glance at a paper with words on it. How criminal it is of me, to even think of it !

Soon will come the time for me to leave. All women should be given away to another man, to ensure their parents' place in heaven. I too, would be "exchanged" as a property. But so I must, before I shame my family by being involved with a young boy, who would write love songs to me. I might seduce him into loving my body. After all, there is a seductress in every woman. I will be married to a man much older. How can a young boy limit my wanton self?

Now that I have a new master-my husband, I  must fear and obey him. I must lie down still, submissively, while he climbs on top of me and does what was promised to him in marriage. A license to make love. An ideal woman submits to her master, so shall I. Then, I will bear his sons and nurture them, so that, once they grow up into fine gentlemen, their brilliance can be proudly credited to their father, while I smile and applaud my master's eminence.

My husband and his sons will rule the outside world, while I am supposed to be happy in the dark insides of my house. If I am not, who am I to tell ? So, I will be. I will cook for them and serve them, until, my sons are married. Then, they will get their own help-maids. But my job doesn't end here. I will teach my daughter-in-laws, what I was taught. I will make them learn the gospel, 'because the master says so'. I thank Gods each day, for blessing me with my master. The base birth of mine would have led me to do monstrous things, without their dominance.

I have heard of some "new women", who fight against our godfathers and their norms. Not only have they learnt how to read and write, but they also go out in a man's world and earn. They discard the long prevailing system of society and strive to define their own roles. They question our "authorities". They demand as much as a right to vote. Their revolt I think is praiseworthy and should continue. But, I heard my master criticise them. They must be the "evil", unchecked women, I was always told about. I should not appraise them, lest my master should hear!

                                                                                                                                  - Woman    

                                                                                                                                           

16 comments:

  1. I like the tone it is written in. Intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be the master of yourself. Don't let anyone be your master. You are a "Person" too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be the master of yourself. Don't let anyone be your master. You are a "Person" too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only women in those times had the agency to be their own masters.

      Delete
  4. Awsome !! Great work di !!🙆 Keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awsome !! Great work di !!🙆 Keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  6. The world of women is divided into two sections-one who have "masters" and the other who are the MASTERS of their own destiny....
    I hope the latter section grows more and more
    I love your work Di 👏👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. ofcourse. Now we are the masters of our destinies but we must not forget that even today there is a lare section of women who are oppressed and choose to do nothing about it due to our prejudiced and judgmental society.

      and thanks :)

      Delete
  7. Phenomenal work.. Really impressed
    :)
    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of us women
    Have snakes for tongues.
    They dart in and out of painted mouths
    Scarlet stained teeth gleam and the serpents flicker
    In and out
    In and out
    Venom drips
    Sizzling sentences and burning holes through parchment papers
    That hold the world view for women :
    What we must do
    How we must dress
    What me must and mustn't say
    How we're too much or too less or too something
    Putrefying verbal cues
    Curving around appropriateness
    As snakes are wont to do
    Destruction doesn't always signify endings though
    The poison seeps in deeper and deeper
    And we continue to work our sensuous charm
    Destruction doesn't always signify endings
    Destruction cleanses
    Creates and restores
    We don't just stop at surface wounds with our destruction
    We obliterate everything in our wake
    And shake the foundations of your very being :
    Everything that stands between us, embracing the very essence of womanhood
    And we sin
    We sin, if sinning is frankness
    We sin, if sinning is boldness
    We sin, if sinning is carnal pleasure
    We sin, if sinning is free will
    We sin, if sinning is breaking free
    We will continue to sin for the rest of eternity
    Snakes shed skin every so often, didn't you know that?
    And we do the same
    We rise out of the ashes of the stereotypes that you force on us
    And we work our venom on the necrosis and sham of societal properness
    Some of us women
    Have snakes for tongues
    And we wouldn't change that for anything in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we really wouldn't change that for anything in the world ! :)

      Brilliant !

      Delete