Friday 25 September 2015

Breaking through: Living Alone blues

I am Twenty two. I live alone in an apartment in the Capital. As soon as people hear this, they bombard me with questions.Questions concerning my securities, fears of living alone in an apparently carnivorous city like Delhi where men see you as meat, then, they mellow it down to how do I manage my food or 'kill' my time, etc. etc. Thankfully, I face no issues in dealing with any of the above posed problems. In fact, living alone was a very conscious choice. It wasn't the first of course, but, when circumstances lead to it and I moved in an apartment alone, I questioned myself for not having thought about it earlier. Living alone is bliss. More so for people like me who are greedy for their own space and company.

The struggle is not the fear of a paranormal activity, robbery, theft or molestation. The concern arises during times when all I long for is a human company to bring me back into the real world from the parallel world I am then inhabiting or a chain of thoughts that has led me way too astray, into the real. It arises at times when you spend hours sitting in the same position, thinking, and you don't realise the amount of time that passed meanwhile. When a soul shaking idea recurs in your head and all you want is something to protect you from it or at least distract you. And there is no one. It is a fit of loneliness that either brings along restlessness or leaves you dazed. I crave to concentrate all my energies and thoughts in one place but pertaining to my womanly multi tasker mind, I can't. My mind wanders away in thoughts and places that I fear the most. I want to sleep it off but either insomnia hits or my overtly active subconscious keeps a dream picture of the same thought ready to haunt my sleep.

Those moments are horrifying but I HAVE to cope with them on my own. I have to wipe my tears off after an uncontrollable session of crying. When one cries, mostly there is someone to ask them not to but crying alone is a commitment. You know you will cry your heart out and then will have to shut yourself up. But when it's over you know you won't cry again. You learn to wipe your own tears and get back to work. You don't starve yourself too long because there is no one to offer you food or force you to eat. You have to help yourself. You are your own friend, the one who never leaves your side. It's really a fight between the conscious and subconscious. When your fears that reside in your subconscious overrule your stability by entering the conscious mind, you break. If you succeed in holding yourself together and act as a dam against the flowing in depression, you have mastered the art of living alone and if you fail, you will learn soon. Just don't give up.

Living alone makes you strong. It is frightening, challenging, back-breaking and demanding but, it helps you discover yourself. It is an experience, it's like your den, people come and visit but you're the one that lives and rules. If you're a lion/ lioness you will survive and your problems will fear you or become your meal ! And we all know "food" is always welcome, we know we shall finish it !

After all, there is always yellow light(I like yellow more) at the end of the tunnel.





16 comments:

  1. As person who desperately wants to live alone, glad I know what I should be looking forward to!
    Love it!
    Keep writing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) And I am glad you found your answers through this !

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful. You know what I love you for this. I'm facing somewhat the same issue and this has helped me a lot. Keep writing love. You are doing an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manya Arora Thank you Manya and I am glad this helped :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manya Arora Thank you Manya and I am glad this helped :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never lived alone. This article is a good prep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angad..its nice to know that this seems like a good prep. Hope your living alone experience, whenever it shall be, is a liberating one !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angad..its nice to know that this seems like a good prep. Hope your living alone experience, whenever it shall be, is a liberating one !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though i don't live alone but i somewhat agree and dis has again led to some positivness within myself even if u face such problems in near future. I want to tell people or mek them read this who are living alone and are frustrated for not having too many friends around or family that life is not living alone its more over u can achieve anythng or everything if u have that will power and ofcourse living alone preprares u strong for ur future course and i want to tell to those who being in a family or in a relationship tend to pose a picture that they are alone,insecure,bla bla that living alone is not that easy it needs lot of courage and practicality. And i shud say this that Saloni has giving a good view point to those who actually planning this way out and it will really make people strong if it is carried such way..
    Good job dear atleast i m using it in my persnl life 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that this has seemed helpful to you shweta ! I agree will all that you have said ! It's difficult but very empowering. it preparea one for everything !

      Delete
  11. Though i don't live alone but i somewhat agree and dis has again led to some positivness within myself even if u face such problems in near future. I want to tell people or mek them read this who are living alone and are frustrated for not having too many friends around or family that life is not living alone its more over u can achieve anythng or everything if u have that will power and ofcourse living alone preprares u strong for ur future course and i want to tell to those who being in a family or in a relationship tend to pose a picture that they are alone,insecure,bla bla that living alone is not that easy it needs lot of courage and practicality. And i shud say this that Saloni has giving a good view point to those who actually planning this way out and it will really make people strong if it is carried such way..
    Good job dear atleast i m using it in my persnl life 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am overwhelmed with your thought process and majestic style of expression.Only original thinkers can tread this uneven path of blogging on topics like loneliness or solitude.
    You are doing a commendable job. Keep it up.This will go a long way to realise your inner potential and to channelize it some creative work

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you ! Your words are like a sonnet. I love to read them !

    ReplyDelete